When I heard about Flickr’s new layout changes, I was excited to see what improvements they were making. (For scale, the images below are 500px wide — that is the actual width of the photo in the old view.)
The old view:
The new view:
Things I dislike about the new Flickr preview.
- They removed the helpful url links when viewing “all sizes”.
They no longer have a “browse” link to take you to the flickr stream page where that photo appearsLooks like they fixed this, the photostream link now takes you to a specific page.
- The map on the side is way to prominent. Seriously, is the map more important than the other photos?
- They removed speed options, viewing of descriptions, and ability to see what’s coming up in their new lightbox mode (instead of slideshow – I don’t love flash, but I liked the slideshow feature.).
- They turned the quick links above a photo into pull down menus. One more click to get what you want is never preferable.
- The spacing between photos on the photostream view is too wide. Just because some people have large monitors, doesn’t mean that the photos should look unbalanced to fill up the space.
- Titles need to go above photos, not below them.
- “Click here to add a title” no longer disappears, but sits there cluttering untitled images. (At least for my own photos when I’m logged in.)
- The column width for comments is now wider making comments harder to read.
- The commenter’s icon is smaller and doesn’t look as nice. Ironic considering they could have used the icon to fill up the space so that the text column wouldn’t need to be quite as wide.
Things I like:
- I like the new 640px default size, though things load a bit slower.
I admit, when viewing the small images above, I like the look of the new version because the bigger photo is nicer. However, all the other concerns make me feel like this one positive is not worth all the other negatives.
In my opinion, Flickr should hire the type of people that started the company: people passionate about photography and user interfaces.
My “pro” account is expiring next week. I am thinking about migrating my photos to Picasa before then. That doesn’t leave me much time.