Coming to a Grand Canyon near you — January 2006. Yes it’s true.
Grand Canyon Skywalk
Scheduled to open January 1, 2006
Hualapai Indian Reservation
- Juts out about 70 feet into the canyon, 4000 ft above the Colorado River
- Built with more than a million pounds of steel beams and includes dampeners that minimize the structure’s vibration
- Designed to hold 72 million pounds, withstand an 8.0 magnitude earthquake 50 miles away, and withstand winds in excess of 100 mph
- Has a glass bottom and sides…four inches thick
- Will accommodate 120 people comfortably (How comfortable would YOU be?)
Update: Here is another image of the Grand Canyon walkway, apparently from M.R.J Architics.