Designboom has picked out 50 amazing architectural projects currently being proposed, constructed, or developed in Dubai and its surrounding region in a new article entitled, The future in Dubai, any one of which is truly an amazing endeavor.
There is some amazing stuff there and they didn’t even mention the World Islands, a collection of man made islands made to resemble the world continents or Dubailand, a collection of amusement parks twice the size of the Walt Disney World parks.
Pictured here is a render of the completed Burj Dubai. Construction began in 2005 and is expected to be completed this year. At an estimated height of over 800 meters, it will easily be world’s tallest building when finished. It will be almost 40% taller than the the current tallest building, the Yaipei 101.
Apparently the Al Burj, when completed will take over the title of world’s tallest building at 1200 meters. That would make it more than 30% taller than the Burj Dubai and three times as tall as the Empire State Building.
Some other interesting projects not mentioned in the article:
- Dubai Sports City. A huge collection of sports arenas located in Dubailand.
- The Dubai Marina is an entirely man made development that will contain over 200 highrise buildings when finished.
- The Dubai Mall will be the largest shopping mall in the world with over 9 million square feet of shopping and around 1000 stores.
- Ski Dubai, which is already open, the largest indoor skiing facility in the world.
- The Dubai Metro system, once completed, will become the largest fully automated rail system in the world.
- The Dubai World Central International Airport will become the largest airport in size when it is completed. It will also eventually become the busiest airport in the world, based on passenger volume.