After almost two weeks of downtime the website is back up. Apparently my host was hit with some kind of major hacking attack and lost a lot of webpages. Luckily, they were eventually able to restore everything (except for lost advertising revenue).
As sad as this is to admit, it appears there is a folder or 5 on my site that have been sending out some kind of pharmaceutical spam. I guess this is just a lesson that when working with plugins that I’m not too sure about, I need to be extra careful.
The files in question have also written special permissions to themselves making it difficult to just erase them. I’ve contacted my hosting provider and hopefully I will have things sorted out soon.
Some of the names of the noxious files in question include:
The interesting thing I found when searching for information about my situation, there appears to be a lot of other sites that also have these malicious php files on their servers and I assume they have no idea about it either—including, and this surprised me the most, many Universities’ sites.
If anyone has any more light they can shed on this, please let me know.
I just finished copying my backmasking page to the new domain. You can now use https://jeffmilner.com/backmasking/ for all your
flash watching , backmasking listening, enjoyment.
I’m switching my comment provider to blogger, so for the next while please excuse any weirdness with the blog / comments.
Update: The new comments are up and running – though it’s still pretty sketchy. For now I’m keeping the old comments enabled in the archives. We’ll see how long I keep them.
My first post on the new blog. I intend this to be a place where I can post and not have to worry about censorship. As such it will probably contain content that I wouldn’t have posted on the old blog so use at your own risk.
I was thinking that in the remote case that my Dad ever decides he would like to post a link to a website that he has found, he probably doesn’t have the slightest idea how. So here are some simple instructions. It is probably easiest to copy the link into the clipboard. This is done by highlighting the address in the address bar, right clicking and clicking copy. Then type out the following example but paste in your address instead of the http://www.cnn.com. (right click then click paste).
This is a link to <a href=”http://www.cnn.com“>type link word(s) here</a>.
Any of the red letters can be changed but in order for the link to work, all the black text must be typed exactly and the link must be exact as well. The previous paragraph, with no colors added comes out looking like:
This is a link to type link word(s) here.
I hope this helps.
I was about to setup some stuff with my web server this morning when I accidently typed http://www.one2host.net instead of http://www.one2host.com. What I discovered is that some guy, timmbbo(at)yahoo.com, has a site dedicated to sharing with the world how bad one2host’s services are. I wish I would have known about his site before I signed up with one2host. Anyway in the remote chance that anyone is thinking about setting up their own domain and reading this site, then a good review site is 100 Best Hosting Companies (one2host didn’t make the list.)